Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Rusk Wadlin Heppner & Martuscello, LLP Free Personal Injury Consultation
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
Contact Us Now
Home > Personal Injury > Car Accident > Hit and Run Accidents

New York Hit and Run Accident Lawyer

New York law requires that anyone involved in an auto accident resulting in personal injury or property damage must stay at the scene, report the accident, and deal with the matter. Unfortunately, many people ignore the law and flee the scene of an accident in an attempt to avoid liability. In fact, hit and run collisions account for a full 25% of the accidents reported statewide. Hit and run accidents include situations where a driver leaves without a valid reason, leaves without leaving any contact information or identification, or where they simply flee after a crash.

Hit and run accidents can be a harrowing experience: Not only have you suffered property damage, injury, or worse, but you may suddenly be left alone with no one to help and, moreover, wonder who will pay for the damage and any medical bills you later incur. A dedicated hit and run accident attorney can help. If you’ve been injured in a hit and run accident anywhere in the Hudson Valley area, including Goshen, Marlboro and Ulster, contact an experienced hit and run car accident lawyer at Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello for a consultation with one of our attorneys.

What Do I Do After a Hit and Run?

If you have been injured in a hit and run accident, you should call emergency services as soon as possible. You need medical attention to determine the severity of any of your injuries and to avoid exacerbation as a result of delayed treatment.

While you are waiting for help to arrive, try to remember any details you can about the vehicle that caused the traffic crash. See if you can recall the make or model of the car, the color, any part of the license plate, or any details about the driver. If there are any witnesses, make sure to collect their information so that they can help build your case. When the police arrive, they will assess the situation, and any information you or other witnesses can provide will be helpful for their report and to strengthen your claims.

Once you begin treatment, it is good practice to review your insurance policy to determine your coverage. Serious injuries may not be covered under a standard New York auto insurance policy. Thankfully, there are other options. By now, it is a good time to reach out to a knowledgeable hit and run accident lawyer. Your attorney will help you build your claim to get maximum coverage from your insurance and hold other at-fault parties responsible for your property damage and injuries.

Typical Insurance Coverage for a Hit and Run

New York is a no-fault insurance state, meaning that in the typical car accident, you rely on your own insurance for coverage. This alleviates some of the worry associated with a hit and run. The minimum policy coverage is $50,000 for personal injury protection (PIP) and $50,000 for uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM). If you do not have a serious injury, this coverage may be sufficient. Make sure to document all of your injuries, your medical bills, your time away from work, etc., anything to strengthen your insurance claim. Do not let your insurance company railroad you into taking a smaller payout — your damages should be fully covered. A dedicated auto accident attorney can help you keep your insurance company honest.

Serious Injuries

If you suffer a more serious injury and your bills exceed your coverage, you will need to seek other options. If you or the police are able to track down the person who hit you, you can sue them and/or their insurance directly to cover your serious injury. You may also be able to sue for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering.

If no one is able to track down the other driver, there are still other options. New York’s Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Act provides an avenue for New York drivers who lack sufficient insurance coverage to file a claim for damages. Your motor vehicle accident attorney can help you assess all of your options and maximize the coverage and recovery options available to you.

Seek Legal Help for Hit and Run Accident Injuries

If you’ve been injured in a hit and run crash, there’s a good chance you experienced serious injuries in the accident, ranging from whiplash to spinal cord injury to broken arms or legs or internal injuries. If you’ve been hurt, ensure that the negligent driver who caused your injuries is forced to compensate you for the damage caused. You may need the assistance of attorneys, accident reconstructionists, investigators and other experts to help you prove your case and get the maximum amount of compensation. For a free consultation on your possible traffic accident cause of action, contact experienced hit and run accident lawyers at the law firm of Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello, in Kingston at 845-331-4100, or in Marlboro at 845-236-4411.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn