New York Sideswipe Accident Lawyer
Sideswipe accidents are among the most common traffic accidents in New York and across the country. According to the not-for-profit Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS), there are over 240,000 sideswipe crashes in the United States each year. Just because they are common, however, does not mean they are any less dangerous. Sideswipe accidents lead to thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of injuries every year. Sideswipe collisions, even at reduced speeds, can cause either or both drivers to lose control, swerving into other lanes of traffic or stationary objects on the road. Serious injury or death commonly results.
If you or someone you love has been injured or fatally wounded in a sideswipe crash in Kingston, Marlboro and Ulster or elsewhere in the Hudson Valley, contact the experienced and successful car accident injury attorneys at Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello, LLP, for a consultation with our legal team. We will pursue your claims against negligent drivers, employers, insurance companies, freight companies, auto manufacturers, and any other parties who should be held liable for the harm you have suffered. We’ll fight for your right to compensation for your injuries, your pain and suffering, your medical expenses, and other legal damages.
What Causes Sideswipe Accidents?
Sideswipe collisions, also called “angled collisions,” occur whenever the side of one vehicle scrapes, hits, or slams into the side of another vehicle. Sideswipe accidents can occur when both vehicles are traveling in the same direction or when traveling in opposite directions. Typically, sideswipes occur when one vehicle drifts into another lane of traffic as a result of inattention, inclement road conditions, or other factors. Rarely do sideswipe accidents occur without at least one party’s negligence.
The car crash attorneys at Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello represent sideswipe injury victims after accidents caused by any number of factors. Some of the most common causes of sideswipe crashes include the following:
- Driver intoxication
- Drowsy drivers
- Distracted drivers
- Heavy winds, fog, rain, snow, and other inclement weather conditions
- Icy, wet, or otherwise dangerous roads
- Road hazards including potholes, felled trees, and other objects
Common Sideswipe Crashes
The traffic accident legal team at Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello has years of experience helping sideswipe accident victims recover compensation. In our experience, there are a few scenarios that commonly result in sideswipe accidents, with risks amplified by the factors discussed above. Sideswipe accidents commonly occur in the following situations:
- Unsafe merging onto the freeway. Merging onto the freeway requires careful maneuvering and considered decision-making. If the driver merges too quickly, too slowly, or without matching the speed of traffic, an accident may occur. The risk is amplified when the freeway entrance is especially short or occurs just after a turn.
- Unsafe lane changes. When a driver changes lanes without signaling or without checking their blind spots, they are much more likely to cause a sideswipe collision.
- Parked cars. Many sideswipe collisions involve a car in motion colliding with a parked car. Negligent driving, narrow roads, and other factors increase the likelihood of a sideswipe collision with an immobile vehicle.
If you’ve been injured, or if your loved one has been killed, as a result of a sideswipe collision, call our sideswipe crash law firm for stellar advice and assistance.
Call a Seasoned New York Sideswipe Accident Lawyer for Help Recovering Damages After Your Hudson Valley Sideswipe Collision
For a free consultation on your possible sideswipe accident claim, contact the zealous traffic accident attorneys at the New York personal injury law firm Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello, LLP, in Kingston at 845-331-4100 or in Marlboro at 845-236-4411.