Daniel J. Rusk
Marlboro, New York
Daniel J. Rusk, a partner at Rusk, Wadlin, Heppner & Martuscello, LLP, graduated from Boston College in 1991, and from Albany Law School of Union University in 1994. In 1995, he was admitted to the New York State Bar and began working with the firm. Dan is also a part‑time Assistant District Attorney for the Ulster County District Attorney’s Office and prosecutes crimes in the Justice Courts for the Towns of Lloyd and Plattekill, and also serves as Special Prosecutor for the Towns of Plattekill and Marlborough. Dan’s practice is concentrated in litigation and all aspects of real property law.
Dan’s practice is largely devoted to litigation, including personal injury and commercial litigation. Dan’s litigation practice involves real estate issues, including contract, construction, commercial landlord‑tenant, and property rights litigation. Dan’s litigation philosophy is “pray for peace, prepare for war”, which recognizes that although a prompt and fair settlement is often in his client’s best interest, excellent results are only obtained by demonstrating to his adversary preparation and willingness to go to trial.
Dan is also the firm’s lead attorney as general counsel to Rondout Savings Bank, and represents Rondout Savings Bank, Sawyer Savings Bank and Wallkill Valley Federal Savings and Loan Association in residential and commercial mortgages, foreclosures and general litigation. Dan represents buyers, sellers, lenders, developers and builders in all types of residential and commercial real estate transactions, ranging from the basic transaction to complex development projects.
Dan is a member of The Ulster County Bar Association, The New York State Bar Association, The Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association, The New York Trial Lawyers Association, and the American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America).
Dan resides in Marlboro with his wife Lisa and three sons, Jack, Danny and Tommy. Dan coaches youth baseball and youth basketball and donates a large amount of time and legal services to various charitable organizations in his Hudson Valley community.
Areas of Practice:
- 30% Real Estate Transactions (Residential, Commercial, Lender)
- 20% Real Estate Litigation
- 20% Personal Injury Litigation
- 20% Commercial Litigation
- 10% General Practice
- 60% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1995
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2003
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- Boston College, Boston, Massachusetts
- Major: Mathematics
- Major: Philosophy
- Rondout Savings Bank (General Counsel)
- Sawyer Savings Bank (Lending Counsel)
- Wallkill Valley Federal Savings and Loan Association (Lending Counsel)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Ulster County Bar Association
- Ulster County District Attorney’s Office, 2005-Present
- Part-time Assistant District Attorney